An Emergency Kit will help keep you and your family safe. Use this checklist to help you assemble your own kit.
- An emergency plan with contact information, two ways to evacuate the home and a designated meeting place.
- Important documents in a fire-proof safe, an expandable folder or on a portable storage device.
- Birth and Marriage Certificates
- Passports and Social Security Cards
- Insurance Policies and your Agent’s Contact Information
- Family Wills
- Proof of Ownership or Lease of Residence
- Vehicle and Boat Registrations
- Loan and Deed Documents
- Information Related to your Financial Investments, Retirement and Banking
- Lists of Medications and Health Information
- Digital Files of Family Photos
- Keys to a Safe Deposit Box
- Recent Photos of your loved ones, in case you are separated.
- Local Maps
- One Gallon of Water per Person per Day
- A Three-Day Supply of Non-Perishable Food
- Can Opener
- Mess Kit with Utensils and Dishware
- Household Chlorine Bleach and a Medicine Dropper to Disinfect Objects and Purify Water
- Hand Sanitizer
- Garbage Bags and Ties, Toilet Paper, Moist Towelettes
- First Aid Kit
- Batter-Powered or Hand-Crank Radio
- Flashlight and Batteries
- A Whistle to Alert Emergency Responders of your Location, if Trapped
- Dust Masks for the Family
- Cell Phone with Chargers
- Matches in a Waterproof Container
- Sleeping Bag or Bedding
- A Change of Clothing for each Family Member
- Some Cash in Small Bills