Not a member?
or Register

Get Organized For Taxes

Whether you’ll prepare taxes on your own or have a tax professional do it for you, it helps to start gathering your documents now. The following list includes some of the most common documents you’ll need to complete your taxes. What you need will vary depending on your situation and whether or not you plan to itemize. Remember, laws may have changed since last year, so be sure to consult your tax professional to discuss any questions you may have.


  • Social Security Numbers belonging to you, your spouse and your children.
  • Childcare Provider: Name, Address and Tax ID or Social Security Number.
  • Alimony Paid: Social Security Number of your former spouse.


  • W-2 Forms for the tax year
  • Unemployment Compensation
  • Miscellaneous Income, including rents
  • Partnership, S Corporation and Trust Income
  • Pensions and Annuities
  • Social Security / RRI Benefits
  • Alimony Received
  • Jury Duty Pay
  • Gambling and Lottery Winnings
  • Prizes and Awards
  • Scholarships and Fellowships
  • State and Local income tax refunds


  • Residential Address(es) for the tax year
  • Mortgage Interest
  • Real Estate Closing Disclosures and Sales Information
  • Second Mortgage Interest Paid
  • Property Taxes Paid
  • Moving Expenses
  • Energy Credits
  • Private Mortgage Insurance Documentation


  • Interest Income Statements
  • Dividend Income Statements
  • Proceeds from Broker Transactions


  • Auto Loans and Leases (Account Numbers & Car Value) if the vehicle is used for business
  • Student Loan Interest Paid
  • Early Withdrawal Penalties on CDs and Other Time Deposits


  • Gifts to Charity (qualified written statement from charity for any single donations of $250 or more)
  • Unreimbursed Expenses related to volunteer work
  • Unreimbursed Expenses related to your job (travel expenses, uniforms, union dues, subscriptions)
  • Investment Expenses
  • Job-Hunting Expenses
  • Job-Related Education Expenses
  • Childcare Expenses
  • Medical Savings Accounts
  • Adoption Expenses
  • Alimony Paid
  • Tax Return Preparation Fees and Expenses


  • Business Income
  • Partnership Self Employment Income
  • Business-Related Expenses: Receipt and Other Pertinent Documents
  • Farm-Related Expenses: Receipts and Other Pertinent Documents
  • Employment Taxes and Other Business Taxes Paid for the current year


  • Federal, State and Local Estimated Income Tax Paid for the current year
  • IRA or Other Tax Retirement Plan contributions: if Self-Employed, identify as “for self” or “for employees”
  • Records of Medical Expenses
  • Records of Casualty or Theft Losses
  • Records for any Other Expenditures that may be deductible
  • Records for any other Revenue or Sale of Property that you may need to report

Post a Comment